Stem Unit Preview
How can we help the penguins to safely cross the road?
Blackmans Bay Primary School is government school located in Blackmans Bay, a beachside suburb of Hobart, Tasmania. It has an enrolment of around 290 students.
Problem / Challenge
Little penguins (or Fairy penguins) are being killed or injured on our roads trying to get to their burrows.
Design and model a way for penguins to safely cross the road.
- Life cycles (ACSSU072)
- Living things depend on each other and the environment (ACSSU073)
- Forces (ACSSU076)
Science as a Human Endeavour
- Science helps people understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Science Inquiry Skills
- Questions and predictions (ACSIS053)
- Plan an investigation (ACSIS054)
- Elements of fair tests, measuring and recording data (ACSIS055)
- Data representation (ACSIS057)
- Comparing data with predictions (ACSIS215)
- Reflecting on the investigation (ACSIS058)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information (ACSIS060)
Design and Technologies
Engineering principles and systems
- Force and properties of materials (ACTDEK011)
Materials and technologies specialisations
- Suitability of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment (ACTDEK013)
Number and Algebra
- Investigate number sequences (ACMNA074)
- Develop mental and written strategies and use digital technologies for multiplication and division (ACMNA076)
- Explore and describe number patterns (ACMNA081)