STEM Unit Preview
Reduce plastic rubbish!
Waimea Heights is a government primary school, located in Sandy Bay, Hobart, Tasmania close to the city and overlooking the Derwent River. The school caters for approximately 390 students.
Problem / Challenge
Students expressed the desire to reduce the volume of plastics in our school ground following Waimea Clean-up Day when an audit revealed that most rubbish collected was plastic.
In teams of three students create a sustainable food container which uses biodegradable materials and does not contribute to the plastic pollution problem.
- Natural and processed materials (ACSSU074)
Science as a Human Endeavour
- Science helps people understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Science Inquiry Skills
- Questions and predictions (ACSIS053)
- Plan an investigation (ACSIS054)
- Elements of fair tests, measuring and recording data (ACSIS055)
- Data representation (ACSIS057)
- Comparing data with predictions (ACSIS215)
- Reflecting on the investigation (ACSIS058)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information (ACSIS060)
Design and Technologies
Technologies and society
- Occupations and factors impacting on the design of products, services and environments (ACTDEK010)
Materials and technologies specialisations
- Suitability of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment (ACTDEK011)
Measurement and Geometry
- Use scaled instruments to measure (ACMMG084)
- Compare areas of regular and irregular shapes (ACMMG087)
- Compare and describe 2D shapes (ACMMG088)