STEM Unit Preview
South Hobart Primary School is located in South Hobart, Tasmania and caters for students in years K – 6 from the surrounding community. South Hobart Primary School currently has 378 students.
Problem / Challenge
How can we grow food all year around in Tasmania without using more energy than transporting it?
In different engineering teams, each team is addressing the problem from a particular perspective.
- Software/electronic engineering are responsible for sensors: – watering systems, temperature controls, nutrient levels.
- Environmental engineering for soil, planting: choice, numbers, density, companion and pest control.
- Civil engineering for design, scale drawings, costing and construction.
Then, as a whole group they come up with the ‘perfect greenhouse’ by putting all the ideas together.
- Living things and their adaptations to their environment (ACSSU043)
Science as a Human Endeavour
- Science explains historical phenomenon and cultural contributions (ACSHE081)
- Science is used to solve problems and inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083)
Science Inquiry Skills
- Questions and predictions (ACSIS231)
- Plan an investigation (ACSIS086)
- Variables, fair tests, measuring and recording data (ACSIS087)
- Data representation (ACSIS090)
- Comparing data with predictions (ACSIS218)
- Reflecting on the investigation (ACSIS091)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information (ACSIS093)
Design and Technologies
Technologies and society
- Design and technologies occupations and sustainability considerations (ACTDEK019)
Engineering principles and systems
- Electrical energy in controlling, movement, light and sound (ACTDEK020)
Materials and technologies specialisations
- Characteristics and properties of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment (ACTDEK023)
- Digital systems and transmission of data (ACTDIK014)
- Define problems in terms of data and functional requirements (ACTDIP017)
- Design and modify algorithms and programs (ACTDIP019)
- Implement digital solutions as simple visual programs involving iteration (ACTDIP020)
Number and Algebra
Measurement and Geometry
- Units of measurement (ACMMG108)
- Perimeter and area of rectangles (ACMMG109)
- 3D objects (ACMMG111)
- Enlargement of 2D shapes (ACMMG115)
- Estimating and measuring angles (ACMMG112)