Stem Unit Preview
Can we get the down balls off the roof safely?
Mowbray Heights Primary School is an urban government school, located in the northern suburbs of Launceston, Tasmania. The school has about 500 students with a relatively high percentage from culturally and linguistically diverse and/or from low-socio economic backgrounds.
Problem / Challenge
In our school down ball is very popular but many balls find their way onto the roof. This requires the groundsman to climb up the ladder to look for and retrieve the balls.
In teams of three, design and make a device which students can use to locate and then retrieve the balls. Your device should be accompanied by a retrieval roster.
- Light – absorption, reflection & refraction (ACSSU080)
Science as a Human Endeavour
- Science explains historical phenomenon and cultural contributions (ACSHE081)
- Science is used to solve problems and inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083)
Science Inquiry Skills
- Questions and predictions (ACSIS231)
- Plan an investigation (ACSIS086)
- Variables, fair tests, measuring and recording data (ACSIS087)
- Data representation (ACSIS090)
- Comparing data with predictions (ACSIS218)
- Reflecting on the investigation (ACSIS091)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information (ACSIS093)
Design and Technologies
Technologies and society
- sustainability considerations (ACTDEK019)
Engineering principles and systems
- Electrical energy in controlling, movement, light and sound (ACTDEK020)
Number and Algebra
- Problem solving (ACMNA291)
Measurement and Geometry
- Units of measurement (ACMMG108)
- 3D objects (ACMMG111)
- Enlargement of 2D shapes (ACMMG115)
- Estimating and measuring angles (ACMMG112)