Stem Unit Preview
My energy efficient house rules
Reece High School is a co-educational, government secondary school with 475 students. It is located in Devonport, an urban, regional area of north west Tasmania.
Problem / Challenge
You have purchased an old house in Devonport and after the first winter, you have an unusually high power bill.
Investigate ways to make your house more energy efficient.
Re-design the given plan of an old house to make it more energy efficient within the existing property boundaries.
- Energy transformations and transfers (ACSSU155)
Science as a Human Endeavour
- Contemporary issues from technology impact on society (ACSHE135)
- Use of science understanding in occupations and influence on development of human activity (ACSHE136)
Science Inquiry Skills
- Identify questions and problems to be investigated scientifically (ACSIS139)
- Conduct a range of investigations (ACSIS140)
- Measure and control variables, select and use appropriate equipment (ACSIS141)
- Construct a range of data representations (ACSIS145)
- Summarise data (ACSIS130)
- Reflect on investigation and evaluate quality of data (ACSIS146)
- Evaluate claims based on findings from investigation (ACSIS234)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information (ACSIS148)
Design and Technologies
Processes and production skills
- Analyse and visualise data to create information and address complex problems (ACTDIP037)
- Define and decompose real-world problems considering functional and non-functional requirements (ACTDIP038)
- Design and validate algorithms and programs (ACTDIP040)
- Implement modular programs using an object oriented programming language (ACTDIP041)
- Plan and manage projects (ACTDIP044)
Measurement and Geometry
- Perimeters and areas of parallelograms, trapeziums, rhombuses and kites (ACMMG196)
- Circles – circumference, area, radius and diameter (ACMMG197)
- Develop formulas for volumes of rectangular and triangular prisms (ACMMG198)
- Number and Algebra Percentages increases and decreases (ACMNA187)