Stem Unit Preview
Emergency shelter for people
Brooks High School is a co-educational government secondary school in Rocherlea, in northern Tasmania Australia. The school is located in a suburban setting, teaching around 700 students in Years 7 to 10.
Problem / Challenge
Natural disasters such as floods, fire or damage to homes from extreme weather events can lead to individuals or families being left without adequate shelter. Economic or social issues may also result in people not being able to access adequate housing to meet their needs.
In groups, your task is to design and build a secure, moveable and sustainable dwelling to help meet the need for short-term/emergency accommodation in Tasmania.
- (PDF, 187KB)
- (Word, 2.3MB)
Australian Curriculum Links
- Energy transfer (ACSSU182)
Science as a Human Endeavour
- Society influence on scientific research (ACSHE228)
Science Inquiry Skills
- Formulate questions or hypotheses (ACSIS164)
- Plan an investigation (ACSIS165)
- Select and use appropriate equipment (ACSIS166)
- Analyse data (ACSIS169)
- Draw conclusions (ACSIS170)
- Evaluate conclusions (ACSIS171)
- Critical analysis of information for solving problems(ACSIS172)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information (ACSIS174)
Design and Technologies
Engineering principles and systems
- Force, motion and energy (ACTDEK043)