How can we deal with waste in an environmentally friendly way?
Stem Unit Preview
Problem / Challenge
For our school to be environmentally friendly, we need to effectively store and transfer paper, compost and general waste generated in our school.
Design and construct bins that can safely store the three types of waste and which can efficiently be transported to the respective collection areas.
Australian Curriculum Links
Science as a Human Endeavour
- Science helps people understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Science Inquiry Skills
- Questions and predictions (ACSIS053)
- Plan an investigation (ACSIS054)
- Elements of fair tests, measuring and recording data (ACSIS055)
- Data representation (ACSIS057)
- Comparing data with predictions (ACSIS215)
- Reflecting on the investigation (ACSIS058)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information (ACSIS060)
Design and Technologies
Technologies and society
- Occupations and factors impacting on the design of products, services and environments (ACTDEK010)
Engineering principles and systems
- Forces and properties of materials (ACTDEK011)
Materials and technologies specialisations
- Suitability of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment (ACTDEK013)
Number and Algebra
- Develop mental and written strategies and use digital technologies for multiplication and division (ACMNA076)
- Solve problems involving purchases (ACMNA080)
Measurement and Geometry
- Use scaled instruments to measure (ACMMG084)
- Compare areas of regular and irregular shapes (ACMMG087)
Statistics and Probability
Perth Primary School is a government primary school located in the small historic town of Perth which is 15 kilometres south of Launceston, Tasmanian’s Northern regional centre. The school has around 245 students.